Green Room wraps up busy semester

Sometimes trying new things is necessary. The Green Room Theatre Company recently followed this idea not only in changing the radio show, but also when it came to designing the set for Almost, Maine.               

“Tech directing for the fall play was an exciting challenge.  It was our goal to give the audience the feeling that they had stepped into the wintery landscape of Maine and that they were part of the intimate stories being told in the community of Almost,” said technical director Kelly Bott. “The most challenging part of tech directing was creating the soft forms of snow drifts on geometric platforms with various levels.  With some problem solving, innovative materials and a hard working crew, we were able to make that happen.”

The set may have been finished, but there was still stress surrounding the tech crew and the actors.

“I’m especially impressed with run crew,” said student technical director Josh Kline. “We were a little concerned at the end of tech week, but everyone pulled together for opening night.”

Overall, the show ended in success.

“It’s always a great experience after the show when I feel like everything was done by the students,” said director Teslen Sadowksi. “When kids do something on their own, I have pride in my work. When someone recognizes a student’s work, I have pride in my work and in the students.”

There is no such thing as down time for the thespians though. The radio show is going on the week of finals, and Green Room is busy preparing.

“Sometimes the radio show is a struggle. What we try to do is turn the Black Box into a 1940s radio station, so we have to get creative. We pretend that we’re telling a story via radio. Everyone dresses really nice,” Sadowski said. “This year we are trying to entice the audiences by performing A Christmas Carol. It will still be a fun holiday show to make people feel festive.”

The radio show is not only entertainment for the audience, it also benefits Green Room.

“The proceeds will be going towards Green Room and toward the students who are attending TheatreFest. Tickets are $5.00 at the door,” Sadowski said.

Meanwhile, musical preparation for Once on the Island is underway.

“We’re so excited because Once on the Island is such a happy, fun-loving show. It’s about a peasant girl whose looking for something bigger and better. She meets another character who is from another place in society. The show is definitely relatable when it shows the struggle between rich and poor. It also has rhythmic music,” Sadowski said.

The musical will also touch the audience and hopefully help them remember the importance of enjoying life.

“I like the message that even if times are hard, you still have family. Everyone will be working together on this show, including Green Room and ENCORE! (from Central) and the stagecraft classes will be designing the lighting,” Sadowski said.

With a busy schedule for the rest of first semester, the only thing that will keep Green Room going is the support of the “theatre family.”