The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Review: Lolita Storm’s G.F.S.U.

The average albeit stereotypical adolescent lives in a state of dreaded acquiescence to a set of unspoken rules, conspiring to benefit all but themselves. While Goldilocks taught us to eat lukewarm porridge and not trespass, we naturally drive ourselves toward excess, and the pull of extremes and self-governing dreams give us purpose.
Lolita Storm’s first album “G.F.S.U.” is a joyride that never slows on its promise of noncompliance. It felt like the musical answer to my younger self’s urge for liberation, and remains one of my favorite albums.
Lolita Storm was founded in the UK by Nhung Napalm, Romy Bonilla Medina, Spex, and token male Jimmy Too-Bad. The band was designated an agent of the digital hardcore movement, a genre marked by a one-two punch of punk’s vocals and guitars and electronically-built breakbeats. Although their career was short, some of their successes include landing an interview with alternative magazine “VICE” and two performances with famed UK radio host John Peel.
The brevity of the 15 tracks off “G.F.S.U.” only adds to the forcefulness of their sound. “Hey Hot Stuff” propels itself forward with a thumping rhythm and a riff ripped from a spaghetti Western, while the sing-songy verse of “Run Baby Run” invokes the uproar of a mutant mockingbird. My personal favorite “Red Hot Riding Hood” encapsulates everything I love about Lolita Storm; hard-hitting beats, an anthemic punk chorus, and a cacophonous synth breakdown develop a lyrical story about a nonconformist youth.
I really enjoy the piece for its abrasive sound and message of disregard for impropriety. Just as impressive is its consistency of quality, as practically every track sounds like a standout and delivers the band’s core mantra to a tee.
“G.F.S.U.” has always been there to soothe my worries as a juvenile in a constantly shifting world. I rate it a 10/10 for its uncompromising force of will.