The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

‘The Cover of Life’ premieres this fall

The play this year, “The Cover of Life ,’’ was nothing like any of the other plays shown at North. It was set in 1943. It focused on three women who had recently come to live together due to their husbands being away at war. Each woman bore a different personality, each one more colorful than the next. The main characters’ names were Sybil (played by Mariah Liberman), Johnny’s wife; Weetsie (played by Brody Moormeier), Derry John’s wife; and Tood (played by Siena Pietraszak), Tommy’s wife. With their husbands away at war, the ladies moved into the home of their husbands’ mother. With usual ups and downs, the ladies are suddenly approached by a local newspaper reporter (Anahi Tenerio) who did a feature on the ladies as their situation was unique. Later a journalist from “Life Magazine” (Rory Dwyer) in New York was assigned to do a cover on the ladies as well. With newfound fame and recognition, the ladies’ husbands were being brought back for the cover. Coping with being away from their husbands, each a different way, the family they built starts to crack as each goes through their own trials during this difficult time. During the peak of their dysfunction, Sybil, after finding out her husband was unfaithful, killed herself.
“The play this year was super interesting to see. I really didn’t expect it to be so serious and deep. It had some really funny lines, which was good comedic relief, and overall I’d say I really enjoyed myself,” said senior Hannah Han.
Students at North worked on the play, building the sets, working on sound, acting and writing to execute the performance the week of November 17.
“Being in sound, it depends if I do much for plays. It depends on what the script calls for sound effects-wise and if the director wants music playing during blackouts. But the work to put the show to life is the music choices,” said senior Grace Merki.
Merki works on more than just sound effects; she helps with the music for the play as well.
“Music is what makes an audience really feel they are in the time period, so McConville and I went back and forth trying to find the right songs to play during pre-show, intermission, blackouts, and bows,” Merki said.
Mrs. McConville was the director of this play. She helped organize all the designers and actors. McConville had the choice of the play and picked a different genre for this year’s fall play compared to previous years.
“McConville chose the play as she is the director. I had no thoughts on the play because I had no clue of it prior to the announcement for this school year’s productions. I was apprehensive about doing a drama since Green Room has done comedies since my freshman year. But in the end I am happy about the choice of the play,” Merki said.
This play conveyed topics that are somewhat controversial-the scene was more serious than comedic and had real life stories and lessons within it.
“The play has some topics that aren’t really talked about. And I guess I like that about the play, and I wish more people came to watch and learn from the messages the play conveyed. I like how it went on the women’s perspective of life during the war and what it was like being lonely. The women were married to husbands who didn’t understand their dreams and values, which helped them question their ‘womanhood’ and how they can live a life without being reliant on men for the rest of their life,” Merki said.
Specifically the play focused on the topic of hardship for women and suicide/mental health.
“The scenes were really interesting to perform especially because one of the topics was suicide. Our director was super kind to let us go through the scene slowly so we can take breaks in the moment and regain our momentum. The topic can be really sad,” said senior Brody Moormeier.
Seniors who helped or acted in the play had their last fall performance. This show was one that really symbolized the end of the first semester and class of 2024’s final year at North.
“Leaving GNHS’ theater is bittersweet. I am ready to leave the theater, but I will miss all the people I have met along the way. I am glad I continued with theater as it opened opportunities I thought I wouldn’t have,”  Merki said.
“If you are in crisis, please call, text or chat with the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988, or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741.”