The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Review: “Hits Me like a Rock” CSS

Summer is an electric shower of emotion, that which spills the taste of liberty on sunshy tongues; her little brother spring is a muted bloom, puddle-filled and lily-scented. In the throes of second semester, spring subtleties are often lost, bird chirps drowned out by shouts of exasperation and irksome testing bouts. The difference must be made up somehow; a suitable counterweight is to be fashioned in summer’s image. CSS’s “Hits Me Like a Rock” depicts summer perfectly.
CSS is a Brazilian band originally formed in 2003 by creatives and musicians Carolina Parra, Ana Rezende, Luiza Sá, Iracema Trevisan, and producer Adriano Cintra, with lead singer Lovefoxxx joining later on. Their debut album “Cansei de Ser Sexy” was released in 2006 to North American audiences; promotional gigs with Gwen Stefani, Diplo, and the usage of album track “Music is My Hot, Hot Sex” in an iPod commercial facilitated their rising influence. Although Cintra left in 2013, the remaining members of CSS reformed in 2019 and in March 2024 even announced plans to tour. CSS’s last album before Cintra’s departure marked the premiere of the single “Hits Me Like a Rock” in collaboration with Bobby Gillespie.
“Hits Me Like a Rock” opens with a bouncy groove seemingly inspired by tropical house, although with more edge than typical genre fare. Lovefoxxx’s grounded vocal hook perfectly complements the breezy lead synths, ostensibly referencing the famous 80s rhythm sample off Tom Tom Club’s “Genius of Love” (sampled by Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy” or Latto’s “Big Energy”). The chorus overflows with a sense of summer ecstasy.
The verses develop a story of someone reminiscing on their past with a lover, pondering why their emotions reach a fever pitch whenever a certain song plays. The song develops with increasing focus on acoustic elements like guitar and piano until reaching a prechorus driven by a building guitar harmony. After the verse-prechorus-chorus structure repeats, the bridge presents new but connected elements which entirely expand the scope of the song’s simple but effective beginnings. A new acoustic guitar harmony, a wistful synth line, and Lovefoxxx’s pleading chants for connection create a climactic environment which grants the once carefree vocal hook a plaintive power. The combination works beautifully as a precursor to the final potent chorus.
Overall, I love “Hits Me Like a Rock.” The contributions of Cintra’s clever songwriting, Lovefoxxx’s sympathetic vocals, and an intriguing blend of acoustic and synthy textures speak to that imperceptible sentiment of the summer. I give “Hits Me LIke a Rock” a 10/10.