The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

P.E. hosts tournaments before Spring Break

Hector Ocampo
Students in Ms. Rodriguez’s class are participating in a basketball tournament before Spring Break.

During the week before spring break was here to come, all eight P.E. classes had announced that they would be having a tournament leading up to spring break where they let students pick their own partners for a session choice of badminton, volleyball, basketball, along with soccer for those periods that are larger in size,. All of thishappened throughout the full period that the games took place in.

When playing badminton, people could have up to teams of two; volleyball could have up to teams of six; basketball was up to three, and soccer teams could be up to four people. No matter who was playing, they would still get graded on participation rather than their ability.

“I would motivate them (the students) by encouraging them and telling them that they don’t get graded on their ability, just on participation,” said P.E. teacher Amanda Rodriguez.

This tournament was described as “a little break before spring break” by Amanda Rodriguez as some students leave for spring break. As a result of their leaving, this tournament is also done as an opportunity to not have to make any points up. In whatever way, it was also used as an opportunity to try a new sport for a change.

“I wanted to try something new instead of just doing basketball,” said freshman Aaron Arroyo.

When it comes to the experience of the tournament, it could vary based off what sport that the student had signed up for. In fact, it was described as “like a big group of people in a team” by Arroyo, who signed up for volleyball.

“So they play round robin games, and then we have a single elimination tournament,” Rodriguez said.