The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Seniors say goodbye

Imani Ongalo

September of 2020. That is the first time I began Journalism here at North. I was unsure what it was, if I would like it, what it meant. None of that was clear to me.

I joined this class because I knew I loved writing. I wanted my writing to be seen, and I thought this class was a good way to do that. Learning the ways of a journalist, how to write, how to interview all of it helped mold me to this new person I am today.

Four years, it’s been four years since I first began writing for the newspaper, and I can’t say it’s felt like that long. I remember each past executive editor or editors, and I never thought there would be a time where I would be here, in their place. The young, unknowing freshman I never thought this random class would become such a pivotal point in my life.

For a long time, I considered even going into Journalism professionally. Writing was something I loved. I enjoyed creating on Canva or InDesign as well. Being creative in a class like this is what helped fuel me through all the repetitive essays and tests. High school being close to over is also a shock to me. I cannot believe we have made it this far. Even being a junior last year, graduation felt so far away.

Now with it being so close, I’m realizing how much I will truly miss the sense of community and togetherness the football games brought no matter the score, the dances and activities our school had, playing tennis for two years with all my closest friends. All of that made me feel like I had a home, a place I could just be free and have fun.

Regardless of any hardships that went on in my high school life, I am grateful for all of it and everyone I will stay close with always.