The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Staff Editorial

Givers do good any season
Staff+Editorial

Why is it that people are more giving in the holiday season rather than in everyday life? According to a LinkedIn article, it has been measured that charities receive about 41% of their contributions during the month of December.

People are more inclined to give more of their time or money to different charities or fundraisers during the holiday season. For example, the bell ringers outside of grocery stores for the Salvation Army. According to the Salvation Army website, bell ringers make approximately $30 an hour while standing outside the stores. This could provide a family two bags of groceries or shelter for a night, but they are able to use this money and give back all year round. They are only outside stores from November to Christmas Eve, since people are more inclined to donate and give back during the holiday season.

There have been neurological studies on the way the brain reacts to giving back. It has been shown that it activates the regions of the brain that process rewards and ignites the possibility of them repeating this deed.

The holiday season has always been the season of giving. People are prone to give to family, friends, and others in need during the holiday season.Hopefully this type of giving can continue all year round, because people need food in June or shelter from the cold in February.

Even though people need resources all year round, the holiday season is able to help promote these necessities. One group that helps give back to the community during the holiday season is Student Council. They buy gifts to give to families that are in the D127 community.

There may not be a clear cut reason as to why people give more during the holiday season, but anything that is given can be used all year round. There will always be a need for food and other resources, and there is always time to give, whether it be the holiday season or not.