Staff, students discuss perspectives on hybrid learning

With+the+COVID+numbers+starting+to++dwindle+enough+for+hybrid+classes+to+start+up%2C+District+127+schools+do+not+hesitate+to+follow+social+distancing+guidelines+and+COVID+restrictions.+

Bryan Alvarez

With the COVID numbers starting to dwindle enough for hybrid classes to start up, District 127 schools do not hesitate to follow social distancing guidelines and COVID restrictions.

As the global pandemic starts to dwindle down, hybrid classes start to fire up. Two teachers and a student share their perspectives on hybrid learning.

What is hybrid learning?

“Hybrid learning has given students and families a choice on how and where learning will take place this semester.  It has been refreshing to have students in the building,” said teacher Courtney Plaza.

“I feel like hybrid classes are a good way to get in touch with your teacher at least once a week to ask questions and make sure you are doing everything correctly. Some things that concern me is the fact of switching from being at a home setting twice a week to going to a school setting on Thursday/Friday,” said senior Amy Londo

What is the hardest part of teaching hybrid?

The hardest part (so far) is keeping the remote students and in-person students engaged at the same time.  I want to give attention to both groups and meet each group’s learning needs.  With anything, hybrid learning is different.  Most importantly, teachers and students need to learn how to adjust to our new normal,” Plaza said.

What do you think will happen to Prom?

“I think Prom and lots of other ‘normal/regular’ activities will be assessed as the events get closer.  I do know students and staff have been very creative these past 10 months on how to safely participate in a variety of activities,” Plaza said. 

“I don’t think there will be a Prom this year because it will be hard to social distance and enforce it in a dance setting. I didn’t really choose to be in hybrid because my mom kind of told me I had to. I think hybrid classes have proven that we can be in a situation of staying six feet apart for long periods of time, and that can help show we can have graduation with social distancing in mind,” Londo said.

What more can you add?

“As of today, we are officially six days into hybrid. Last week overall, students and staff safely returned to school with a limited amount of students in the building.  I would consider it a success!  Both staff and students need to keep in mind we are all learning, and this is new to everyone,” Plaza said.

Why are the rules in place?

“I think the rules are in place to ensure student and staff safety. When people gather together, masks must be worn correctly, people need to wash their hands, and distance between individuals must be kept.  When everyone does their part, the spread of COVID will decrease,” Plaza said.

How do you feel about hybrid classes?

“It’s all about being flexible. I enjoy hybrid because I’m able to see students in person and have that sense of normalcy like we had prior to 2020. For me, if I were a student, I would like how the schedule is,” said teacher Elaina Armata.

What are some things that concern you the most about hybrid classes?

“Being able to properly keep our students and staff safe. I like that our district provided PPE and disinfecting crates,” Armata said. 

Could you explain why you chose to be in hybrid learning.

“I believe we are doing what is best for our students. Whether you chose hybrid or remote, I know you made the right decision for yourself. There was a lot of thought that went into your choice, and whatever your choice was, was the right one now,” Armata said.

What are your thoughts on hybrid classes affecting graduation this year.

“We were able to have a celebration and a car parade last year, so I don’t think it’s out of the realm of celebrating,” Armata said.

So far how is hybrid going?

“For the AIM staff, great! We are enjoying our time with students,” Armata said. 

“So far hybrid is going pretty well. We only have to go to school when we have a class, otherwise, I go home and do any homework/classwork I did not finish in school,” Londo said.

What are some things you would like to change about hybrid classes or their rules?

“I am very much a rule follower, so I’m completely fine with the majority of our rules and restrictions. I think our school/district is doing their absolute best to get a real high school experience while in a pandemic,” Armata said. 

One thing I would like to change is the amount of time we stay in a full class setting. I feel that if we were to stay in breakout rooms where I am alone but can call for help I would be getting more out of staying at home. I think the hybrid class rules are pretty fair. There isn’t a lot of walking around classes, but since you can bring a water bottle with a straw and go home when you don’t have a class, not a lot of walking around or eating is necessary,” Londo said.

Do you think North should allow socially distanced football games? 

“It’s not a North decision as much as it is an IHSA decision. We will know their decision later in January. I think that if we follow six-foot protocol and masks, there is a chance we can enjoy football games,” Armata said. 

What are your thoughts on the hybrid class rules?

“They make sense! In my classroom, everyone is spaced out and safe,” Armata said.

Do you think COVID cases will rise because multiple schools are doing hybrid in this district? 

“I think that what we do outside of school will affect COVID cases, and that it may not come from the school. We can only control what is happening in our building, not what happens on the weekends,” Armata said.