The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Most popular music trends of 2024

As 2024 unfolds, artists have been pushing creative boundaries, and people have been immersing themselves in different genres of music.
A lot of recent artists have become popular from their songs getting used in TikTok videos. A good example of this is the artist Ice Spice. She blew up on TikTok from her song “Munch.” This was the song that put her name out there, and for most people, it was the first song they heard from her. There were lots of mixed opinions on the song, but it wasn’t until her other songs came out that she got more recognition. The song she did with Pink Pantheress titled “Boy’s a liar Pt. 2” is what turned lots of people into fans. As the song’s featured artist, lots of people really liked her part on the song.
“TikTok has been making music blow up like crazy. You can have a bad song, but if those 15 seconds of that song is good, it’ll go viral. A song that has been going viral recently is this one song called ‘Shoot It Out’ by Jdot Breezy, and it’s been getting used a lot for sports edits,” said senior Jonathan Hardges.
Most of these music trends come from artists who experiment with other genres of music or when they make their own sound. Playboi Carti is an artist who did both. His second studio album “Whole Lotta Red” was a lot different from his debut album “Die Lit,” as well as his self-titled mixtape. He used a higher-pitched voice, and it was a lot more rough and loud. Most people didn’t like it at all and were hating on him. It wasn’t until a year later when people started liking it, and it even inspired other artists in their music such as Post Malone and Doja Cat. He has a new album that is supposed to release soon that lots of people have been waiting for because his style of music grew on people.
“I think it’s cool that Travis Scott tried something different with ‘Utopia’ in comparison to his other albums. I felt that the theme of the album was captured well,” said senior Adrian Whitfield.
Controversy is something that is an essential part of the world of fame. A very controversial artist is rapper Kanye West. He is a very controversial artist because he doesn’t care about what people think of him and tends to just speak his mind. He has talked down about other artists, said slavery was a choice, and said Hitler was a great guy.
“Although Kanye West and Travis Scott have faced many controversies, it doesn’t really bother me. I’ll still keep listening to them,” Whitfield said.