The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Halftime show promotes music artists

Performers can receive a lot of publicity by performing at the Super Bowl halftime show even without receiving payment from the NFL, which boosts music sales and streaming.
The previous year’s show featured Rihanna’s iconic performance while pregnant. She saw a massive jump in music sales after the performance was watched by an estimated 115 million people.
“I believe artists shouldn’t get paid for their halftime show because they already get massive exposure, and it is an honor to be selected as a halftime performer,” said senior Alaina Ashley.
Every year, Apple Music pays the NFL $50 million to sponsor the Super Bowl Halftime Show. So the NFL gets one of the biggest artists in the world for free, and someone like Usher (this year’s performer) gets a 15 minute commercial in front of 120 million people.
Usher also did something that was memorable and went viral. When Usher and Alicia Keys had a moment together, the internet erupted because everybody was wondering what Swiss Beats thought about it. With this controversy, it helped Alicia Keys, Usher, and Swiss hit the top of the charts.
“It’s a smart move what Usher did because it made him more viral after the show,” said senior Gio Medina.
According to Billboard, “Usher Explains Why a Justin Bieber Super Bowl Halftime Show Reunion ‘Didn’t Work Out’,” two days before the Super Bowl, Usher announced his new album, and he also announced his upcoming tour. People were convinced that he was going to bring out Justin Bieber for the show. Usher tried his best to persuade Bieber to be a guest, but he said he just wasn’t feeling it.
“It would’ve been nice to see Bieber perform with Usher, but he did bring on a good amount of performers,” said senior Cody Rakoncay.
Many artists strategically time their Super Bowl performances to coincide with upcoming tours or upcoming releases.
“Performing at the halftime show is a great way for artists to boost their brand,” Rakoncay said.
According to CBS News, “Do Super Bowl halftime performers get paid? How much Usher stands to make for his 2024 show,” the NFL covers the halftime expenses, including stage construction, lighting, sound equipment, and other production elements.
 “The NFL and Usher did a great job at creating the show and making it better than past years,” Medina said.
There are several thoughts surrounding the halftime show. Should the artists be paid for this event? Who should cover the funds for stage constructions? As the halftime show continues to progress throughout the years with new and rising artists, the questions will soon be answered.