Environmental Club faces changes due to COVID-19

The Environmental Club does many important things for not only the environment but also for the school.

“I believe [the] eClub is a group of students and staff who truly care about the environment.  We want to do our part to help as well as educate others about environmental things, what we’re doing and what they can do,” said Christine Applehans, the sponsor of the Environmental Club.

There are many reasons to join the Environmental Club. Juniors Abigail Butler and Dana Arreguin both joined the club freshman year. Junior Aarya Balaji just joined the club this year.

“It seemed like a really cool club. I had friends who recommended it to me, and I wanted to learn more about the environment.  I didn’t know what to expect. On Valentine’s Day, you could buy a flower and deliver it to your significant other. That’s all I knew,” Balaji said.

Unlike other clubs at Grayslake North, the Environmental Club has been heavily impacted by COVID-19. During a normal school year, the club tries to help spread awareness about the environment. But, due to COVID-19 they can’t meet in person at school despite being a very hands-on club.

“Also, now it’s difficult to spread awareness without being in person with posters and other stuff like we normally do,” Arreguin said.

One of their main priorities is educating others about environmental matters and how some big issues seem quite minuscule, but are still important nonetheless.

“One big thing is spreading awareness about the small things, like bringing your own water bottle instead of buying plastic bottles,” Arreguin said. 

Students have many reasons for why the club is important in school. 

“[The most important thing about our club is] our efforts to inform the rest of the student body about things they can do to improve and help the environment,” Balaji said.

Many students in the Environmental Club agree that spreading awareness about environmental issues is their prime concern.

“We focus on recycling and spreading awareness about how much we’re impacting the environment with everything that we do,” Butler said.