Students celebrate Black History Month

February is Black History Month, and Grayslake North students and staff are making sure that the student body is aware of the critical importance of recognizing black historical figures and what they have done for the country.

When the Knights’ Way student group formed, the group wanted to take a look at how we could work to continue to create an inclusive climate and culture for all students here at North.  That’s when the idea for celebrating Black History Month at North was proposed,” said student assistance program coordinator Jenny Andersen, one of the organizers for Black History Month.

Events are not limited to North, as the College of Lake County is also involved in promoting Black History Month.

“The Historically Black College and University College Fair at CLC is a good way for students of color to learn about historically black colleges and know all of their options,” said senior E’Sence Kenebrew.

Students and staff have also worked on creating activities outside of school for students to enjoy.

“The Knights’ Way group is showing ‘Hidden Figures’ and ‘42’ after school in the library on Thursdays at 3:30 for the next two weeks.  There will be free pop and snacks, and we are raffling prizes.  Some teachers are offering extra credit,” Andersen said.

Grayslake North is taking Black History Month seriously and want to make sure it does not go unnoticed, according to senior Natalie Davila.

“Black History Month sometimes goes overlooked, and at North since there’s mostly white students, black history is important to learn about,” Davila said.