The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

North offers a group for every student

Lola Brama

New Groups begin to flourish as the school year continues.

At the start of the 23-24 school year, students were sent out a survey about groups. They were asked if there was any group that they would want to be a part of. There was a wide variety of options to choose from, some of those options include: Girls Common Language Group, Newcomer Group, Affinity Groups – based on grade & cultural group, Learning to Breathe – mindfulness, Girls Group, Lunch-Time Meditation, Growth Mindset Group, Grief Group, Anger Management, Attendance Group, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, Social Skills, Decision Making Group, and Peer Support Group.

“I’m a part of the girls group,” said a member, “ My favorite part is talking about what’s on our mind and the issues that we’ve been going through.”

Each group offers something unique that a student can participate in. For students who need time to relax from the busy school day, they could join the lunch time mediation group. Or, students who identify as LGBTQIA+ can take part in this inclusive group.

“Groups help students not feel so alone with what they are going through. Their peers can relate and give advice,” said girls group leader Dawn Deacon.

Groups were created for the students. Their purpose is to promote wellbeing for students. In particular, the girls group was made to be a safe space for girls at North. Normally, they meet on Thursdays during the last 45 minutes of second or sixth block. The students are able to participate in a discussion, or watch a presentation from a speaker. Normally they discuss how they feel on different topics or events that are currently happening.

“I wanted the girls to feel that they were seen and heard,” Deacon said. “Furthermore, they are valued as girls by having a safe space to talk.”

At the beginning of the school year, the lives of many students can be crazy and overwhelming. Groups were created to give students a safe place where they can express themselves and their feelings, or to just take a minute and relax.

“The main purpose of our groups at GNHS is so students feel a sense of belonging. Feeling like you belong is very important. When we feel like we belong, we feel supported and we don’t feel alone. We are more resilient and we cope more effectively with difficult times,” said group leader and social worker Angel Clark. “We also teach skills in the groups like meditation, problem solving and empowerment.”

The groups were mainly created this year, in the fall. Many of the groups have created a wide base of students who enjoy participating in those activities.

“ I would say that if you want to talk about what you’re going through, and feel more connected with people, then you should join a group,” said a group member.