The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Science Olympiad season comes to an end

Science Olympiad is built of a group of students who have a love for learning more about science and want to take that knowledge to another level.

The Science Olympiad is a competition where students participate in various science events. It’s a fun way to learn and showcase one’s knowledge in biology, chemistry, physics, and more. Students work in teams and compete against other schools. It’s a great opportunity to explore different areas of science and challenge oneself.

“In the Science Olympiad, there are about 20 different events you could compete in; some are labs and you have to run different tests and experiments. While some other events are formatted a bit more like tests,’’ said junior Maila Nells.

When getting ready for the competition, it’s important to focus on studying and practicing different science events. Members can review textbooks, take notes during lectures, and even conduct experiments to deepen one’s understanding. It’s also helpful to join a Science Olympiad club or team where you can practice with other students and learn from each other.

“We meet after school on Thursdays, and most practices are scheduled between your event partner and you. The only event we have a scheduled practice for is the flight event,” Nells said. “Practices are many times filled with lots of hard work and time dedication. Practices vary. Students meet with their event teammates, and it looks different depending on the event. Some-times this is studying. Other times they may be building or using materials. Like we have a plane
event and an optics team that has to use mirrors to divert a light beam to a specific location,’’ said sponsor Megan Sylverne.

Having the Science Olympiad written down on an application when applying for the next step after high school is a club that many college boards will enjoy seeing.

“Science Olympiad is a great way to show a student is involved in their school but also shows dedication to teamwork. Also a great appeal for those looking to go into a science-related career. I think any club or activity shows your ability to commit your time and effort to something,’’ Sylverne said.