Latinos Stands Up celebrate Latino culture

Latinos+Stand+Up+visits+Pilsen+neighborhood+in+Chicago.+

Latinos Stand Up visits Pilsen neighborhood in Chicago.

Latinos Stand Up’s (LSU) most recent event was on Nov. 15 to discuss and prepare for their Cinco de Mayo Academic Bowl. They did a lot of dancing and ate good food.

“We attended a Pachanga at York High School on November 15. This involves leadership activities combined with a dinner and dance and is a preparation for the Cinco de Mayo Academic Bowl that is held every May at Highland Park High School,” said sponsor Cynthia Karabush.

With a lot of new freshmen this year joining LSU, they have brought many great ideas and enthusiasm to the group and also being able to be taught new things about other places and the people too.

“LSU has taught me that people matter. No matter if they’re from another city or state, we have to think of them and take care of them. For example, like the Hurricane Maria. We made an event about them to raise money and donate to those that are in need the most in such difficult times,” said freshman Ruth Real.

Latinos Stand Up is a club to celebrate the Latino culture. That being said, Amy Alderson, Cynthia Karabush and Martin Rocha (teachers at GNHS and sponsors of LSU) have meetings every Thursday after school and throw many events throughout the school year to keep celebrating Latino culture.

“I think this is an important club because we have many Latino students at this school. So a club that celebrates their heritage and values is important. We want students to know that whether they are Latino or not, they are welcome to join and help us celebrate the beautiful, rich Latino culture. I, in fact, am not Latino, but I feel like I am on the inside because I love to participate in events associated with that culture,” said Amy Alderson, sponsor of the LSU Club.

As Latinos Stand Up starts, they get planning right away on the events they will be having throughout the school year.

“We will probably have a soccer tournament on 2/15. Anyone can enter, students or faculty. They just have to fill out a form with a school-appropriate team name and get four players (three to play at any one time and one sub) and each team plays $12 to enter. It will take place in the field house,” Alderson said.