Winter Dance canceled after low ticket sales

The senior class over the years has tried very hard to plan the annual Winter Dance, but for the first time, the dance was cancelled.
“We had to cancel the dance due to low ticket sales. We normally sell between 350-400 tickets, but only 11 were purchased prior to the dance this year,” said senior class sponsor Denise Franta.
The Winter Dance is meant to be an event where students can come to school at night and have a great time.
“The Winter Dance is a less formal dance than Homecoming, so we want to make sure kids know they don’t need a date. You don’t need to buy a new dress or flowers,” Franta said.
Coordinators of the Winter Dance are always looking for ideas to make it better.
“The Senior Class puts on the dance get involved and have your voice heard. We would love to have your input [for new ideas],” Franta said.
Early February, a letter was sent home enforcing a dress code for the Winter Dance, and it has been rumored that it discouraged students from attending the dance.
“I hope that’s not the reason [the dance was cancelled], but I understand, I do. I don’t want kids to feel like they can’t come down here and talk to me about things and ask me why [things are enforced],” said associate principal of student services Megan Licht.
Students have given input on why they didn’t choose to attend the Winter Dance.
“The Winter Dance can be more appealing if [they] didn’t make a page filled with rules. We are all young adults that know what is right from wrong,” said senior Jonathan Martinez.
A letter is sent home addressing a dress code before every school dance, and it’s the same model as the student handbook dress code.
“[The goal is] to make sure that we are respecting ourselves, our bodies, and also just for students and staff to realize that we want to make this an environment where everyone feels comfortable,” Licht said.
The dress code shouldn’t discourage students from attending and enjoying school events.
“I’m not a fun sucker. I want kids to have fun, but I want them to have fun with some boundaries,” Licht said.
Senior officers are hopeful of bringing the Winter Dance back next year and it being well received.
“I believe senior officers next year could ask students what they want in a winter dance in order to gauge what sort of things they are looking for in a dance that they would want to attend,” said senior officer Paige Hawksworth.