FCA looks to make a positive impact

fca-picture

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a student-led club inviting all, Christian and non-Christian,athlete and non-athlete, to meet Thursday mornings in A106 at 7:20 for free food, fun, and fellowship.

Started in 1954, FCA has spread across the country to high schools such as Grayslake North, to present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church-FCA.org mission statement.

“I enjoy FCA because I see kids standing for something in this society. Being Christian is not always the coolest thing, but it is good to see students not just swaying with pop culture,” said FCA leader and social studies teacher Alex McKenzie.

Within FCA, there is a real focus on making it fun and serving the community.

Regular meetings consist of free donuts/pastries from Lovin Oven Cakery, student devotionals (lessons/talks), and students brainstorming on ideas about how members can make a positive impact in our school and in the surrounding community.

Besides meeting before school, there are also many service opportunities, especially during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other holidays throughout the year.

Our hopes are to partner with One Hope United again and help with child abuse prevention. We are open to other ideas as well and we plan to discuss more within FCA soon,” said FCA leader and special education teacher Kimberly Keaskowski.

FCA is really making an impact not only at school, but in the community too.

“FCA is a good group that has the same morals and values as me, so it’s easier to keep myself in check. The members of FCA are also just a good group of people to talk to as well,” said junior Mark Keegan.

On Thursday mornings in A106 at 7:20, FCA is the place to find free food, fun, faith, friendship, and fellowship.