New gym fitness tests measure improvement

To kick off the ten year anniversary, students are taking part in the new fitness testing in PE classes as it shows physical improvement for the students more accurately.

The physical education department decided to change the way fitness testing is done because the results are more accurate. There are a total of three weeks each semester used for fitness testing, with the intention for one test to be done each day that week.

“With the new change in fitness testing, it makes it easier to see our improvement and where we rank for average in the state,” said junior Makenzie Winters.

New fitness testing includes the plank test, push up test, mile run, and sit and reach test. Students will no longer be taking part in the pacer run during fitness week. The new tests help teacher’s measure student growth.

“I think the most beneficial test is the push up test because it builds the most muscle, and it is easy to see improvement by looking at how many you can do each time we do the testing,” said junior Bobby Krebs.

With the different tests being used and all being rewarding, students and teachers feel differently on which is the most effective.

“I like the mile run because it is good conditioning for the students,” said PE teacher Andy Strahan.

This year’s testing changes are experimental to see if it is more beneficial for the students, as well as the teachers and coaches.

Students feel better about the new way PE is being used to strengthen the students with the fitness testing. The new fitness testing is not just to see weaknesses in students, but the testing helps the overall growth of students.

“I think the new testing is more beneficial to us students because it focuses more on the areas we have to grow,” Krebs said.

The teachers agree that tests will be more accurate.

“The new testing helps show students’ growth over the year,” said PE teacher Andy Strahan.

The changes in testing this year is the first step to new things.