Column: Fun Facts with Dani

Valentine’s Day: Love it or hate it?

Did you know that Valentine’s Day started off with a darker setting? Originally Valentine’s Day was a way that men could hit on women by actually hitting them. Also during a celebration that the Romans would host, they would sacrifice goats and dogs, and then whip women with the hides of the animals they had sacrificed. And where did they get the name “Valentine”? Well many believe we can thank the Romans for that too. It is said that two men named Valentine were executed on February 14 of different years. If you want to read more go to npr.org.

How did a day of death turn into a day of love? Well as years went on things became “sweeter,” and pagan rituals became banned from the festival. So the real question now is, “How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?” When students at Grayslake North were surveyed on Schoology about whether they liked Valentine’s Day, 29.2 percent said no and 70.8 percent said yes.

Students also answered how they are going to spend Valentine’s Day. Eighteen point nine percent said with their boyfriend or girlfriend, 24.3 percent said alone, 25.7 percent said with friends, and 31.1 percent said with family. Personally I spent Valentine’s Day with friends. But going back to the question of liking or disliking Valentine’s Day, I have mixed feelings here. In the past, I’ve hated the holiday, but then one of my best memories with my dad happened because of it. Now because of this memory I have with my dad, Valentine’s Day makes me feel happy and loved.

On one Valentine’s Day a few years ago, I came home from school and there waiting for me was a stuffed gorilla my dad had gotten me and a heart shaped box of chocolate, just because. It wasn’t much, but it meant so much to me that he did this out of the blue. The reason the monkey meant so much to me was because when I was a little kid, I had a stuffed monkey I loved, and one day my dad gave me his monkey he’d had since he was 18, and it really meant a lot to me.

Students were then asked if they’d want gifts for Valentine’s Day. Twenty-three point six percent said no, and 76.4 percent said yes. I agree with those who said yes. Someone giving you something, even something little because they thought of you as someone important sounds wonderful. When asked what they’d want, 10.8 percent said poems, 10.8 percent said jewelry, 17.6 percent said money, 20.3 percent said flowers, 20.3 percent said food, and 20.3 percent said candy. I was kind of shocked when I saw that only 10.8 percent of students would want poems. Maybe I’m biased because I’m an author and have a love for the written word, but I personally would love for someone to write me a heartfelt poem; however, chocolates and flowers are also nice.

Now I love Valentine’s Day, and I find it very heartwarming the way people show their love for not just their partners but their family and friends.