To play or not to play: a battle for high school sports

Many students eagerly awaited the IHSA’s decision to allow play to begin

Dane Massey

Grayslake students pack in for a basketball game; however, it will not be this way this year.

The past few months for Illinois sports have been crazy. As the IHSA and the state continued to delay sports from starting, the people of the state of Illinois became very frustrated. With the state’s COVID-19 positivity rate going in the right direction now, the question on everybody’s mind is: Why did it take the IHSA and the state so long to start sports?

“I think they are scared of what the governor will do like take funding away or completely shut down the state again,” said senior Noah Green. “I understand why they are doing it, but it is very aggravating because it’s my senior year and my time to shine in the sports I do which are now not guaranteed to even play this year.”

Grayslake North senior Noah Green has been on the wrestling and football teams. Just like most seniors this year, Noah is excited to compete for his final year in high school; however, the IHSA and the state have been held in a constant struggle due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Schools across the state have expressed their frustrations about not having sports, including many schools across Lake County. 

“It’s obviously really frustrating. Senior year is supposed to be one of the best years of high school,” said Antioch senior Lucas Bentley. “Going to football games, being around any kind of sports games play a large impact on that. It feels a little like we are being robbed. I know that they are trying to keep us safe, but they can’t expect us to sit and wait till all of this is gone. It could linger for the next 2-3 years for all we know. There could be a resurgence.”

Antioch High School was well prepared for a high-expectation football season this year along with all their other athletics,  but due to the IHSA delaying sports, Antioch, along with other schools across the state, have let their frustration be heard about the delays.

“Antioch as a community has rallied together to show that we are doing our part to bring back sports,” Bentley said. “I was nominated as one of the football team captains this year. At Antioch, it’s something that all football players aspire to be. If we don’t have a season, it’s going to hurt a lot more. “We really don’t know; so we need to take the chances that we have now. As of right now, the statewide positivity rate is sitting at about 5 percent. It’s also decreasing daily with the mass distribution of vaccines. I think that it’s safe enough to play sports, so there is no reason for the IHSA to continually push back against our voice.”

Although the COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on everyone, not only in the state but around the country, many states that have more cases and higher positivity rates have been allowing high school sports to go on this year. In states like Texas and Florida, high school sports have still been happening despite high numbers of cases and positivity rates in some counties. This left people in Illinois frustrated and uncertain about why high school sports have not been allowed to take place here, resulting in a crisis point with the IHSA. All year, the state continued to push back more and more sports.

“They are definitely at a crisis point,” Green said. “The IHSA wants to listen to the people it’s affecting, and they know if they hold back any longer that the chance of high school sports happening keeps diminishing because the cases keep going up each day.”

On January 27,  the IHSA reached a solution with the people to have sports go on. Starting in February, basketball and other sports can begin contests in the state, followed by other sports in which start dates were decided by the IHSA. Some of the start dates were set in early and mid-April. Many people may say that this is the end of the battle between the state and the people over high school sports, but some are still just a bit skeptical about how to play the seasons safely. This leaves some questioning what the IHSA will do if if COVID-19 strikes again.

“I think it is the fact that a lot of people are suffering from COVID, you know. I think they are scared of what could happen to say if one person were to get infected if an outbreak happens or not,” said Lakes junior Jaden Yuknis. “It is hit or miss for me because yes I want sports to happen. I think everyone does honestly. But on the other hand, it is better to play it safe because COVID has been pretty unpredictable when it can strike. I think that people just need to be safe, wear a mask when you’re not in a game or on the field, just like college or the professionals. I think if we do that then everything will be ok and the positivity rate will still go down.”