Becca’s Beat

Beccas+Beat

You know, a month ago, I was seriously kidding myself when I said that second semester of my senior year would be easier. I clearly remember studying for finals one night, almost at my breaking point mind you, and reassuring myself that second semester would be relaxing, easy and all about being proud of my college decision.
Well, it may only be a month and a half in, so I should cut myself some slack, but those thoughts are seemingly crazy at the moment. Due to the musical and other commitments, I have less time than last semester. My classes are picking up, and suddenly, I seem to have more homework than first semester. And I still have not chosen a school, though on the bright side, the decision is narrowed down a bit more.
With all of that being said, though, I can’t complain. What would I do with my life if I wasn’t running from one activity to the next and reserving Sunday as my only day to relax? My peers have similar feelings. Work. School. Sports. Future. Clubs. Sleep. Future. Family. Friends. Future. At this point, it all comes down what we decide to do when we walk out of these doors diploma in hand.
It doesn’t really matter what my peers are doing when they leave here. Whether it’s attending college, working, travelling the world—of which I would be extremely envious—or taking a different path to their future, I think it is safe to say we can all relate. In my case, college is weighing down on me like a ton of bricks. Every time I turn around, someone is asking me where I’m attending college or if I’ve made the decision yet or what I’m majoring in or if I’ve gotten any scholarships. It’s never-ending.
Yet, when we get out of here, most of us will probably look back and wonder why we didn’t enjoy it more. Friends. Prom. Graduation. Opportunities. The list goes on and on.
It’s time to realize that although the stress of our futures is killing us at this point, it’s our responsibility to enjoy the last time we don’t have to pay bills or feel the stress of adult life. And although at this point it may seem as if I need to follow my own darn advice, I’m working on it. All will come in due time, so it’s time now that I take a step back, drop the stress off my shoulders, and enjoy these last few months of high school.