Column: Fun Facts with Dani

Wow, senior year! We’re at the end of another year, but yet unlike all the other years, it’s all coming to an end. I’ve been a part of “The Knight Times/Knights Media” for three years now. I started out as a reporter, then I was a sports editor. Now in my final year I am the co-executive editor to the newspaper, the sports editor, and also the review editor.

Being a member of Grayslake North High School was something that at one point made me sad. In my eighth grade year, I was graduating from Millburn Middle School. I was one of about 15-20 students that were going to Grayslake North, and not even one of my best friends were coming with me. I wasn’t worried about making new friends. I’ve always been very vocal and likable to the people who could handle me, but I was worried about not being as close to my old friends, not seeing them as much, and just missing out on experiences with them. My worries were short lived because I kept in contact with all of them. However, as I grew as a person, some of us grew apart. I am still best friends with Gabby King, though, one of the few people I still keep in contact with after middle school.

Even though I walked into this school practically alone, I soon found out that it wouldn’t be like that for long. I met amazing teachers and friends, made connections with coaches and teammates, and I loved every moment of it. We all go through rocky parts of high school. I don’t want to make it sound like I didn’t, but I tried to take the bad with a grain of salt and make something of all the other amazing times and amazing people.

I want to thank Mrs. Smith, my journalism teacher, who taught me so much more than just writing stories. She also taught me to believe in myself and my writing, and she always told me how proud and thankful she was of all the hard work I put into the class. I also want to thank Coach Kopecky. She taught me and my team that being a good person with a good heart is more important than being a better player on the court. Personally, I always thought that made me a better player, and I thank her for that.

There are so many people who have touched my life at this school, so many friends, teachers, and coaches that if I never met them I don’t know if I’d be the same person I am today.

All of us have changed from the time we walked into this school, to now, the time we walk out. We’re different people; we’ve experienced a new part of life. High school was an adventure, and we all tackled it. Now we have new adventures, new goals in life. We will constantly look to the future because everyone always asks us to. You’re always asked, “What now?” or “What are your plans for the future?” Just don’t forget to stop and savor the now before you look to the future again.

I once heard a quote from one of my favorite shows, “Greys Anatomy,” and I thought I’d share it with you. “One day you’re going to wake up, and all the big stuff, all the milestones you’ve been looking forward to, graduation, weddings, having kids, your grandkids, it’s all behind you. It’s all over. All you got is a bunch of yesterdays, and very few tomorrows.”

This is one of our milestones. It’s here. We’ve made it. Don’t take this time for granted. It will fly by too quickly. It feels like only a few days ago we were walking into this school, not knowing where our classes were, not knowing who our teachers are, but now we’re walking out four years later.

How can four years fly by just like that? We experienced so many important events over the years we’ve been here. COVID especially affected our high school experience. We missed out on a lot that year and a half, but we tried to make the most of it.

Some of us spent more time with friends. Some spent more time with family, and others caught up on sleep. Now, I try to live every day with a smile and a little bit of adventure, even if that adventure is one I’ve done before because life’s too short and goes by too fast not to. So I challenge all of you to live today with a bit of adventure. We’re graduating. Don’t let that adventure go to waste.

Although Grayslake North is becoming a part of my past, it will always be a part of who I am and how I came to be. So I guess it’s goodbye for now. Danielle Broege signing off.