Staff Editorial: TikTok trend shows the need for change

TikTok is a social media app that a billion people have and is home to 700 million monthly users. This app is a way to empower people, learn new things, meet new people, and express oneself.

It’s also something that can be harmful to people and can influence people to take part in illegal activities like stealing things from their schools. This new trend is called “Devious Licks,” which shows students stealing and vandalizing items from schools. Even though some of these videos show students merely pretending to steal or doing something harmless in the video, some of these activities can actually get students in trouble.

The activities, like stealing soap dispensers, even though it doesn’t seem like a big deal to the students, can actually lead to a heavy fine and disciplinary action for them if they are caught. At the time it seems like a big joke to the students, but for workers like custodians and janitorial workers, it’s even more work for them to do at the end of the day. It’s important for students to know who they are affecting when they do trends like this. They are not affecting only themselves and the viewers, they are also affecting workers and the people who have to pay for what they destroyed or stole.

It’s also important for staff and adults who don’t have TikTok to know that some of these “trends” are not real. The “slap a teacher” trend is not something that students actually do or something that they have to worry about. Students and teachers should both educate and learn from each other. Teachers and parents should educate their students on the effect of what their actions hold and how actions they see as a joke are actually something that can negatively affect themselves and others. Students should educate teachers on the positive influence apps can have and how not everything they see on apps is not true.

While a lot of education needs to happen, what also needs to happen is for students to take pride in their school and surroundings and to take care of the building and the items in the building. Just because things are seemingly a joke online does not give anyone the right to vandalize or make things uncomfortable for others. A line must be drawn between what is seemingly funny to do and what is just plain wrong.