Students participate in damaging TikTok trend

Students+found+that+the+soap+was+taken+from+many+of+the+bathrooms.+

Joseph Valera

Students found that the soap was taken from many of the bathrooms.

The most troublesome trend to come out of recent weeks has been the “Devious Lick” trend on TikTok, where students around the United States began posting videos of themselves stealing items from school bathrooms. That being the case with this online trend, students began to follow by stealing soap and paper towels.

As fall season has approached, students have been vandalizing bathrooms throughout the school. For many students, it was their first time back on campus since the pandemic began in the spring of 2020. After missing a year in school due to COVID-19, students are using this trend as a joke to “have fun.” Another reason why they participate is to try and fit in with others who know about the trend.
While this is happening, the intent from the staff is to prevent further vandalism.

“We spent so much time and energy chasing down people who have stolen from the soap dispenser, that when we catch someone, they’re going to be suspended and responsible for the financial problems they caused. As far as I’m concerned, they can be arrested,” said dean Linda Vecchie.

And that’s not even the end of it. Now, people have been spreading a global list on social media that details every challenge planned for the months ahead, warning teachers of what might be to come. These challenges have gotten more dangerous for the upcoming months.

“It sucks. I wouldn’t want to clean up the mess either. I feel bad for the staff due to the soap dispensers off the wall. I always try to leave places better than they look before, but a lot of people aren’t because of this challenge,” said junior Gabe Sanborn.

Many people, from teachers to administrators, are calling out the inappropriate nature of the challenge and are trying to spread the word in order to raise awareness and help crack down on the trend. Flyers have been put up and emails have been sent out in regard to the matter.

“I’ve already seen bathrooms being closed. It’s not the best feeling when you have to use the bathroom when it’s closed and having to go to another floor,” said senior Mark Lopez.
School staff has been trying to help stop this from happening.

“As school staff, we don’t want to be cranky. But over time, we have felt appalled, disgusted, annoyed, irritated. I don’t know why kids think it is a good idea. It’s like your house getting teepeed over and over,” Vecchie said.

Those who attempt to search “Devious Licks” on TikTok will now find an error message that reads, “No results found. This phrase may be associated with behavior or content that violates our guidelines.

Promoting a safe and positive experience is TikTok’s top priority.” At Grayslake North, parents are encouraged to talk with their children about watching for any behaviors that could result in harm to anyone or anything. If a student witnesses any harmful or potentially harmful behaviors, they should be immediately reported to a dean, security, or the school resource officer.