Boys bowling ends successful season

The+Grayslake+North+bowling+team+waits+while+they+are+about+to+begin+theyre+match+against+Vernon+Hills.+

Photo courtesy of Tina Woolard

The Grayslake North bowling team waits while they are about to begin they’re match against Vernon Hills.

The boys bowling team went into their last couple of matches of the season with a record team score (1160) this year. They pushed through to the end, and finished it off facing some good competition. 

Greg Geiger, the head coach, has been coaching the team for 10 years now. When he was a high school student, Geiger bowled and also participated in other extracurricular activities.

“Absolutely, bowling is one of the few sports that you can play for your entire life, regardless of skill level or physical ability. You can always get better,” Geiger said.

Geiger loves to see new people come to the sport and find passion for it as well as sports in general. 

“I have always enjoyed bowling, and I have bowled for years. I am also a big supporter of athletics in general and especially exposing people to sports they can play for the rest of their lives; after all, that is really the point of what we are trying to do at school, provide our students passion and skills they can take with them and use forever,” Geiger said.

Senior DJ Zeman is on the varsity boys bowling team, and he has enjoyed the time and dedication put into this sport both in and out of school. He has made this sport a passion from the start, and he has gotten good numbers this season.

“I would recommend this to others because originally my friends and I just needed a sport in the winter to do, and we all got really good at it. My best game was probably when I bowled a 276 game. Everyone was extremely amped up, and we were all just having fun,” Zeman said. 

Zemen has gained so much from the sport, he recommends it to other students because of how one can play it for any length of time.

“I chose this sport as something fun to do, and it turned out to be one of the best high school experiences I’ve ever had because I was able to take all my friends and just have fun,” Zeman said. 

Tina Woolard is Grayslake North’s athletic director, and attends all of the sporting events she is able to. Woolard has been in this position since the school opened up 16 years ago, and she loves what she does. 

“The hardest competitor the team has faced was Grayslake Central. They have a very strong team.  The other competition we faced was COVID.  The season started and was shut down almost immediately due to a spike in COVID numbers, ” Woolard said. 

Woolard had been surrounded by sports her whole life. Her father bowled, so she watched bowling a lot growing up, and still does till this day.

“I have been very fortunate to be the athletic director at Grayslake North.  Athletics was a huge part of my life growing up, and I have so enjoyed sharing my passion for sports with our student athletes.  I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to see students grow through participation in the sports they love.  After this past year, it is something I will never take for granted again,” Woolard said.

The boys bowling team finished strong. The varsity team finished with an overall score of 5781 in the Conference (3-13/3-14). Cam Ellingson (18th), Nathan Holton (21st), and Peyton Jacobs (24th) finished in the top 25 on varsity.  Levi Adam (14th) and Jack Larson (17th) finished in top 25 for JV.