STEAM Day celebrates STEM and arts

STEAM day was held on October 22 for students in 7th through 10th grade to introduce them to the variety of classes North has to offer.

STEAM stands for Science, Technology, English, Arts and Math and represents all of the types of classes new and recurring students might find enjoyable.

“It’s just an opportunity to get hands-on experience before actually being students at North. I think we want to start younger, so students can start getting interested. Student choice is huge, and I think it’s never too young to start thinking about what you want to do with the rest of your life,” said family and consumer science teacher Courtney Plaza.

The school wants to represent everything it has to offer, so they added to ‘A’ in STEM and made it STEAM so that the arts could be represented. That includes theater and food classes.

“To open the doors of availability that students may not know is there in these specific areas, the hope and the goal is that students are able to see before they register for classes what they actually entail. Because a lot of the time there’s too many classes for the counselors to go over everything and there’s not enough time for me as one teacher to go through and talk to every single student,” said English and theater teacher Clare McConville.

Students volunteered in the night where they could inspire other students to join classes that interest them the most.

“I got involved with it because I wanted to inspire other people to take the classes. I feel like it’s really something that’s underrepresented in the school, and I think that everyone should take a lot of these classes because it would boost their world view,” said senior and Green Room stage manager Austin Glass.

This was the first time STEAM night was ever held. There are many hopes from the teachers that the night will have made a lasting effect on every student who decided to come.

“I hope that it’s just able to open up all the opportunities that students have. I think that sometimes they just don’t really know, and we don’t do a strong enough job of promoting,” McConville said.

The night was open to new students and old students who attend the school. The goal was to show students that there was more to the school than just basic core classes.

“Showcasing different things such as acting games, voice games, or reading from a script, those are the kinds of things that we do in the theater classes,” Glass said.