“It’s a Matter of Time” for the new marching season

The Grayslake North Marching Knights have been working hard on their show, “It’s a Matter of Time.”

They compete throughout the fall in many different places.

“The band practices daily during the school day. In addition, we also have several sectionals and night rehearsals,” said band director Candace Edstrand

Every day when they have the opportunity, they go outside and practice. They also have night rehearsals a couple times a month from 6:45 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. This gives them time to practice and learn a new drill.

“This year, I think the theme is alright if we can really go all in on it,” said sophomore Jack Dirig

The band works to perfect their show throughout the fall.

“We will compete at the Fox River Marching Invitational in Waukesha, Wisconsin, the Robert Morris University

Marching Band Competition and the Illinois Marching Band Championships at the University of Illinois in Champaign Urbana,” Edstrand said

They have multiple competitions throughout the year. They compete at different schools in the area. At the end of the marching season, the band competes at the University of Illinois. They also perform in the Veterans Parade on May 25, 2020.

“I’ve loved the family feeling of band and really liked the competitions and spending time with my section,” said senior Alexza Gallogo

In the band, everyone shares bonds with each other. Everybody grows to love band.

“I think everyone in my section has been helpful to me, especially the leader I have worked with sophomore to senior year,” Gallogo said.

In the band, people grows together throughout the years. Everyone in the band is a family.

“My favorite part is meeting all the new freshmen and improving myself as a musician,” Dirig said

The returning band members enjoy seeing new freshman. They also get to see themselves grow as musicians throughout their years.

“My favorite part of competitions is the bus ride where I am able to bond with my section and strengthen our relationships,” Gallago said.

Group  photo of the marching band

and the band performing