Boys track sets new personal records

The boys track team is off to a great start with newcomers and returning runners including Connor Riss, Brian Kenebrew, and Bryan Donaire.
Head coach Mathew Zaluckyj is in his sixth year coaching track and his fourth year being head coach. Coach Zaluckyj is excited for the future of the track team with many newcomers including freshmen Tristan Ramsey, Armen Jerikian and more.
“We have many newcomers this year in our underclassmen group. The future is definitely bright. Athletes like freshmen Tristan Ramsey, Armen Jerikian and sophomores Tony Hines, Dimitri Cannon and Christian Johnson have already made their mark in varsity events for us,” Zaluckyj said.
Junior Brian Kenebrew started off the outdoor season with a bang setting a new personal record for the 400 meter dash with a 51.3 and 41.2 for triple jump. Kenebrew hopes to keep improving and set a new school record for triple jump with a 43.
When asked about his mindset before meets, Kenebrew said, “I set high goals for myself and push myself to reach them. Nobody ever believes in me or thinks I can accomplish my goals, which makes me want to prove them wrong. I always say I’d rather be idealistic and work toward my goals and fall short than be realistic and not reach my full potential,” Kenebrew said.
Senior Connor Riss started off the outdoor season to a good start as well, hitting a personal record for the mile with a 4:23, a 1:58 for the 800, and a 52.0 for the 400. Riss plans to carry on that success into the post-season and to keep improving and have a chance at competing for State.
Riss is continuing his athletic and academic career at North Central College to run cross country and track.
“The season is going well. The team is good overall with a couple of guys hitting personal records earlier this week and getting into the post-season, getting ready for the end of the year,” Riss said. “I want to have the chance to make it to State this year because last year I made it to Sectionals, but I didn’t quite make it. I hope to improve from last year and compete for State in my last high school season running track.”