Student Council organizes Winter Gala for charity

With the Winter Gala soon approaching, Student Council members from both North and Central have been working hard at planning it.
The idea for the Winter Gala came from Grayslake Central Student Council. It began as a fundraiser and asked North to join in last year.
“Merging with Central to have the Winter Gala has been a spectacular experience,” said Student Council sponsor Jacqueline Boratyn. “This joint collaboration allows us the opportunity to really come together as not only a school, but as a district and community as well. We’ve loved doubling our brain power and sharing ideas on how to make the gala bigger and better from year to year! As a sponsor, it has been incredible watching students from two different schools come together to form a single vision.”
Although most school dances are centered around a theme, Student Council members skipped the idea of a theme in hopes to bring spotlight to the American Cancer Society, which is the charity that a portion of the dance’s proceeds will be going to. Though there is not a theme, Winter Gala will be including a simple color scheme of silver, ice blue and white. The charity was picked through a district-wide vote.
“Another big way that it is different from other dances is that the event is a fundraiser for a charity,” said Senior Class Student Council sponsor Jess Baker. “Students at both campuses were able to nominate and vote for the charity recipient. Last year a portion of proceeds were donated to Save-A-Pet and this year proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. Another great part about the Winter Gala is that it isn’t just a dance, it is also a catered dinner. As a part of the ticket price, students will get bread sticks, salad, pasta, and a few meat options from Olive Garden and dessert from Dalton’s Cakes this year.”
Planning for the Winter Gala was a choice that Student Council members got to make. They were able to sign up and pick what aspect of the dance they wanted to focus on.
“In the beginning stages of the Winter Gala planning, Student Council members were able to sign up via Google Doc to participate in one or more committees,” Baker said. “The committee options included decorating, advertising, ticket sales, spirit week etc. So, each student could pick an area that they felt they could contribute. From there each adult leader/class sponsor has been in charge of those committees and volunteers. Committees have worked both during regular Student Council meeting times, but also before and after school on days selected by the committee members.”
The Winter Gala will be held on Saturday, Feb. 23, at Grayslake North. Tickets are being sold outside the lunchroom from now until Wednesday, Feb. 20, and are priced at $25. Tickets can also be purchased at the door for $35.
“The Winter Gala was fun to be a part of planning, and I hope that students make the decision to come. It’s going to be a fun night; you get to help a special cause, hang out with your friends and enjoy some good food,” said junior Student Council member Bryan Donaire.