SWAT begins new form of tutoring

Since the start of the second semester, the SWAT program has unveiled a new branch of tutoring which allows walk-in tutoring as opposed to the original system of scheduled appointments.
“It’s more personal and allows the tutee to choose their tutor and their day/time for tutoring. The idea behind those changes was to get tutees more involved in the process so they feel more like a partner rather than just a participant,” social studies department chair Chris Kubic said. “We want them to feel invested and involved, not like this is something they just have to do.”
With the new branch of SWAT open, students will either have the choice to use the walk-in section in the ARC or stick to the traditional appointment-style of tutoring. By spreading out the SWAT program across the library, SWAT organizers hope to remove the negative connotation of receiving peer tutoring.
“We were a little worried about kids still thinking that SWAT was a negative thing to have to sign up and get passed, and maybe kids who needed help would be more willing to go for themselves for a quick session with other students,” said social studies teacher Molly Noel.
By allowing students to walk in and receive spontaneous tutoring as opposed to the traditional bi-weekly program, students gain a higher degree of connection towards their sessions. Improving both student retention and tutor confidence, the new system promises to get the most out of peer tutoring.
“The new intake system (where the tutee chooses their tutor and day/time) has really worked well. Attendance has been more consistent, and the tutoring relationships seem to be stronger,” Kubic said. “The SWAT team leaders and supervisors seem to like the new system because it allows them to make more of a contribution to the program. They know they play a really important role.”
For anyone who wishes to apply as a SWAT tutor, Noel insists that it does not take an impressive GPA to help another student, so long as you have strength in a particular subject. As spring marks the start of new tutoring recruitment, those wishing to apply have an opportunity coming up soon.
“We’re always looking for new tutors; we usually go through a referral process in the spring, which will probably happen right after spring break. So for anyone who wants to apply, it doesn’t matter if your GPA isn’t too high, we’re looking for specific content area.”