Many apps waste time

The bell to start class has yet to ring. In the halls, students rush to get to their classes. Teachers organize the lesson plans scattered all over the desk. The students that have arrived are scrolling through their phones. Some students are looking around the room because their teacher takes attendance by counting the phones on their desk. As the bell rings, some students tuck their phones away. A few try to finish the text they were sending before the teacher notices, while others just ignore the bell entirely.
Phones have become more than commonplace in society to the point that it is unusual not to have one. These phones are criticized for being a distraction, but they help give teenagers entertainment and a way to relax.
“I can be distracted by [the South Korean webcomic app] WEBTOON, but my music app helps me to focus. I often use it when I need to block out distractions,” said junior Simon Kasemeier
Music is not the only way teenagers use phones to relax. Freshman Jacqueline Weekley uses Snapchat to spend time and to stay connected.
“My favorite app is Snapchat. I can easily message my friends and nothing is permanent, just because everyone else is using it,” Weekley said.
The most popular app, if not the favorite app, is YouTube. Despite the connections made through social media and the entertainment granted by comics and stories, YouTube is still the most used.
“I like to watch reactions, skits, and I often use YouTube as an assistance tool for learning a subject. Basically, I just look up online lessons,” Kasemeier said.
Phones and apps are far from perfect. People may have problems with using them in moderation and not using them during class, but the relief they provide surpasses all that.
“I personally think people use their phones excessively. A lot of people are addicted including me,” Weekley said.