WOKE raises awareness about diversity

WOKE is a diversity club which was started by a group of students at North who are trying to make a difference in the community by doing projects within the school, and this year the project is about civil discourse.

“WOKE is a group started by students last year to raise awareness of issues of diversity and to promote civil discourse. It gets its name from the vernacular expression “being woke,” which means being aware of societal issues. It doesn’t mean that you know ‘the truth’ or that your ideas are correct or better than anyone else’s – it just means that you’re aware of those issues and committed to doing something about them,” said social studies department chair Christopher Kubic.

Being a part of WOKE has many benefits to an individual and the community, according to sponsors.
“With WOKE, you get what you put in. So, for me personally, I am able to go to conferences and bring my ideas to life about the issues within our community,” said junior Rachel Garza.

WOKE can allow students to engage with issues productively.

“WOKE is a way for students to use their voice and make a difference. No one knows better than students what it’s like to be a student, and students have a lot of influence over the culture and climate of the school. There are many issues of diversity that people aren’t aware of, and this group helps to raise awareness and get people talking,” Kubic said.

Students in the club recommend this club for a variety of reasons.

“I recommend this club if you have a passion and hope for a better world. If you weren’t in the club, you’d be missing out on a platform that allows you to have a positive voice and impact on your school community and community in general,” said senior Alex Almanza.

WOKE does a project per year to help make an impact on diversity in the community and in the school community.

“Right now, the emphasis is on civil discourse – talking to people with whom you disagree. Civil discourse means that we take the time to listen to people and understand where they come from. If they didn’t talk, they wouldn’t have come to that understanding. We have to keep talking to each other, and more importantly, keep listening to each other. Seek first to understand, then to be understood,” Kubic said