Students prepare for Greece trip

Students from Exploring World Cultures are traveling across the world to Greece. This trip consists of ten days filled with numerous cities and islands, including three days on a cruise beginning May 23.

Teacher Jill Tomasello is the group leader who is in charge of all communication between the tour company, students, parents and the teachers of the class.

“We thought the itinerary looked amazing. It had a lot of historical significance that aligned with our classroom experience, and it was a destination we thought many students would enjoy,” Tomasello said.

This Exploring World Cultures trip is open to the current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors at both Grayslake North and Central.

“I had a foreign exchange student stay with us last year, and he saw snow for the first time here, experiencing many ‘firsts,’ so I wanted to have an experience like that as well,” said sophomore Zach Chamberlain.

Students like Zach Chamberlain are in the process of taking five hour long classes that teach them about the history to arrive to the foreign country with a little bit of background knowledge to help them through their trip.

“[In class,] we discuss travel philosophies, culture, geography, language, history, etc.,” said sponsor Keeley Thode.

Students and their families have to cover their own funds in order to go on this trip and make sure they bring everything on a specific packing list to ensure they have everything that they need.

While in Greece, these 29 students and five teachers will visit Athens as well as Mykonos, Samos, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini Island.

“[I’m looking forward to] the food and the beauty of the landscape,” Tomasello said.