Staff organizes Alaska service trip

Athletic Director Tina Woolard is leading the school community servic

e trip in July to help at homeless shelters, harvest food and prep, and landscape the cultural immersion site in Juneau, Alaska.

“I learned about the trip at the State Athletic Directors’ Conference, and there was a booth that had multiple locations for trips and one of them was Alaska,” Woolard said.

The trip is scheduled to take place July 21 through 28. It will cost $3900 per person. The cost includes airfare, hotel, food, and events they participate in while in Juneau. The community service will be done in Juneau and the area surrounding it. Current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are able to sign up for the trip to Alaska.

“When I heard about the trip, I thought it was a great opportunity for our students. Allowing our students to be able to do service learning in Alaska in an incredible experience. I have experience with student travel as well,” Kirchway said.

There are many spots open for the trip currently. Sponsors are hoping on taking around 20 students on this trip.

“Trail restoration, helping at homeless shelters, harvest and food prep, and landscaping on a cultural immersion site are just some of the service events we have planned,” Woolard said.

There will be six hours of service, journaling, and reflection while on the trip.

“Service learning opportunities for our students (are beneficial). The students will be able to see first-hand how their help will benefit others,” Kirchway said. “I am looking forward to seeing our students interact and help the tribe in Alaska. I enjoy seeing how travel experiences open up the minds of our students.”

However, it is not only academic and service, as the participants will get many opportunities to experience nature and have fun.

“Our adventures will include hiking, rafting, kayaking, fishing, whale watching, and sightseeing.”
Informational meetings about the trip will be occuring in C105 in the following months.