Football ‘taking a knee’ controversy stops short in high schools

Dating back to 2016, many NFL players have taken part in a silent protest against racial inequality by taking a knee during the national anthem, but not many high school football players have joined the protest.

“It’s freedom of speech. Kids are allowed to display their beliefs in different ways,” said athletic director Tina Woolard. “I don’t personally view it as anti-patriotic.”Dating back to 2016, many NFL players have taken part in a silent protest against racial inequality by taking a knee during the national anthem, but not many high school football players have joined the protest. “

While students are allowed to protest their beliefs, the practice of taking a knee has not been common throughout high school football players as a vast majority of players have not taken part in the protest.

“Coach brought it up to two of the captains, Austin and I, and asked us what we thought of the whole issue, and we agreed that there was no reason for us to be kneeling,” said senior Virgil Cannon. “If something does happen, we will take care of it outside practice or outside of the game.”

Varsity football coach Sam Baker views the ‘taking a knee’ idea as more of a professional and public matter.

“Among high school players, taking a knee is not at all common. It’s more of an NFL thing, and it’s been more of dealing with Trump,” Baker said. “There really hasn’t been much discussion. We just talked about it with a few guys that when you wear the Knight uniform you’re a Knight.”

Given the freedom to allow players to take a knee in protest, the staff wishes to have a more open discussion regarding how players feel about controversial topics rather than giving specific orders on each issue in order to accept all players’ personal beliefs.

“I really just want further discussion on how they are feeling, not ‘you can take a knee or you can’t take a knee’ not at all, they can do that,” Woolard said. “I would hope that a coach would have a conversation with kids so that concerns can be heard and they can feel like they can voice their concerns and have a voice.”

As NFL players have lead the protest, high school players feel the that it is unnecessary to involve themselves.

“We all believe the same things about what is going on. Yes it’s about social injustice and what’s going on, but for us we are a high school team and we represent North,” Cannon said.