Some students struggle without a lunch

Imagine taking eight full periods of classes, including gym, without room for a lunch period to relax, study for tests, or even just finish some homework from earlier in the day. Some students have managed to be successful in the lack of a lunch during their school day.  Imagine taking eight full periods of classes, including gym, without room for a lunch period to relax, study for tests, or even just finish some homework from earlier in the day. Some students have managed to be successful in the lack of a lunch during their school day.  It’s been getting a little difficult for some students, but somehow they manage to push themselves and focus more on their studies rather than a lunch.  “I don’t have a lunch because of tech. I either had to focus on my career and get through the day hungry or get through the day full and knowing I could have helped my future out,” said senior Manny Alanis.  Some students realize that to them getting prepared for their future is more important, that they take the decision of not having lunch for the year.  “I decided to take tech over having a lunch because I need my credits and I want to take tech so I can be certified and quit my job. I wanted to take tech to see if CNA was something I wanted to continue in college, and in order for me to do that, I had to give up my lunch,” said senior Jocelyn Lozano. To make the day easier for them, they buy food at school or provide for themselves by bringing something from home. [“I usually bring snacks to school, and once in awhile I go to the cafeteria during my passing  period to buy something real quick,” said senior Alicia Guzman.  Not having a lunch is hard for some. Meanwhile others can get through the day without it. Each person copes differently with not having a lunch.  “The hardest thing is getting hungry throughout the day. I do get hungry at times, but I usually just buy snacks throughout the day to keep me from being hungry. Even just water helps me get through the day,” Alanis said. Although eating food isn’t really an issue in the class, there are a few teachers who think it’s disruptive, while others are cool about it.  “I’m allowed to eat in all my classes, but all my classes are far from the lunch room. The lines get really long. By the time I’m down there, I’m always showing up late. I know it’s disruptive to walk in late, so I don’t do it every day,”  Lozano said.