North adds new clubs and activities for students

Students and staff is piloting five new clubs this year to their already fifty different clubs that all students can join.
Along with the ongoing list of clubs, Grayslake North is now in the process of offering International World Cultures Club, Social Studies Honor Society, German Club, Knights Fit Club, and GNASA (Astronomy & Science Club).
Thanks to not only to Molly Tomlinson, the activities director, but as well as the students themselves who decided to come together and create more clubs that they feel the school should provide for students.
“Statistics show that [students] will do better academically if [they] are involved in something extracurricular. It helps students find their niche and maybe give them a little bit more self-confidence,” Tomlinson said.
North now offers nearly sixty unique clubs that are open for everyone to join. The school highly recommends that students get involved with many different activities after school or even before school.
Joining different clubs, such as International Cultures Club or even the Social Studies Honor Society, can guide student’s future goals and ambitions.
“It opens [students’] minds up to other cultures causing students to want to learn more and travel to different places, gaining a tolerance and understanding of others,” says Cristina Di Stefano, attendance secretary and one of the sponsors for International Cultures Club.
Dawn Deacon, psychologist and second sponsor for International Cultures Club, states that the club is very inclusive.
“Even though students are definitely welcomed in all clubs, they may not necessarily connect with that club. My envisioning is more about celebrating who you are,” she said.
Clubs are a good way to meet new friends who share the same hobbies. The Social Studies Honor Society is an example of a club uniting people of similar interests.
“The club brings together students with a love of history and gives them a platform to educate the rest of the student body about different cultures,” said senior Alex Almanza.