Teachers work with new computers

This year, teachers received new laptops to use in their classrooms for their work with students and teachers through the school.

The director of technology, Michael Marassa, explained that the teachers wanted laptops with long battery life, good performance, and a touch screen. This is the school’s third generation of laptops, and the technology department had to make sure the laptops had wireless internet, which they do.

The laptops are good learning tools for the students. The computers last longer due to a longer battery life, and are thinner and lighter. This allows them to be a good learning tool for students.

“Teachers don’t have to charge them as frequently,” said director of technology Michael Marassa.

Two hundred and twenty-five teachers in District 127 have received  a laptop. The teachers agree that even though all new devices can be challenging, the new laptops don’t have any particularly negative or aggravating qualities.

“Our job of the technology department is to support learning,” Marassa said.

The teachers are very impressed with the new laptops and are adjusting every day at school and in class. Many teachers believed that the old laptops were outdated, so they were excited about getting new ones. The new laptops have many capabilities such as e-mail, daily agenda, annotations, Google Drive, attendance, grades, research, Skype, and social media. There are many new options with the new laptops for the teachers and students.

“I think we got these laptops so they can adjust to each subject area. I’m able to annotate a story right on my screen which I was unable to do before,” said English teacher and activities director Molly Tomlinson.

The teachers claimed brands of laptops don’t matter and the features are what are important. No matter what the brand is, if it has helpful features, it can be worth it. Apparently, most teachers think the laptops are helpful because they can write on them with the stylist, and they can flip the laptop over and use it as a tablet, and this is not the only benefit seen in the new computers.

“The primary thing the laptops are used for are new materials for class. The laptops are also used for communication with teachers, students, and families,” said technology coach Tom New.