Students participate in Day Of Silence

On Friday, April 21, the students of Grayslake North participated in Day of Silence.

According to GLSEN’s (Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network’s) website, the Day of Silence is a “student-led national event organized in thousands of schools, bringing awareness to the silencing effects of anti-LGBTQ name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. Students from middle school to college take a vow of silence in an effort to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBTQ behavior by illustrating the silencing effect of bullying and harassment on LGBTQ students and those perceived to be LGBTQ.”

When asked why he joined, sponsor Patrick Green, said “I became sponsor of SAGA because two years ago a few of my students asked me to fill the opening.  They knew that I was someone who spoke up in a respectful way. Mrs. Fisherkeller applied to be sponsor at the same time, and we were both happy to co-sponsor the club.”

Many of the students that participate in North’s SAGA (Straight and Gay Alliance) participated in the day, along with people that support the whole LGBTQ community, known as allies.

“Ultimately, this day symbolizes how many in the LGBTQ community have had to be silent about who they truly are out of fear of what others will say or do, or how they might act towards them,” said Fisherkeller.

By participating in the day, Fisherkeller said, “Students are hoping to bring awareness to the struggles faced by many in the LGBTQ community.”

Junior and SAGA member Annie Mattea agrees with the belief that “no matter your opinion on these issues, people are people, and that’s how we have to treat them. Much of the media has made sexuality the be all and end all, but we are not just our sexuality. We are more than just that and our identity runs deeper.”

“Regardless of your beliefs, we need to respect all, because we’re more similar than you may think; we are more similar than we are different,” Mattea said.