Students take AAPPL to test biliteracy

A new test for the Bilingual Seal of Literacy (AAPPL) was recently added to the curriculum. This test is an important opportunity for seniors because it allows them to prove their biliteracy.
“We have been talking about this test for two years now. We have been actively meeting since September [to get the test running]. There has been a big group of adults that have played a substantial role in this [test and opportunity],” said associate principal for curriculum Jeff Schagrin.
Although this test is only offered to seniors, teachers hope in the near future that it can be offered it to anyone, and students have the capability to take it multiple times. There was a total of 39 students that took the test this year.
“In the future, we may not be limiting it to Spanish, French and German. We can offer it to other people who may speak other languages throughout the school,” said World Language department chair Valerie Padgett-Krause.
This test is a four part test that includes reading, writing, listening and speaking. It takes about three to four hours to complete. It has many benefits for students that will help them out in the real world and is added to their diploma as proof that they are bilingual.
“I think the test would help people get recognized as bilingual which would open up more opportunities for them in life,” said senior Liam O’Connell.
Learning a language can help students to understand not only another language, but other cultures throughout the world.
“Hopefully over the next couple of years it’s going to open a lot more doors and give students more opportunity not only for academics but also for career,” Schagrin said.
The students took the exam in early April and are waiting for the results to come in.
After waiting to find out the results for the test, proctors have now released names of the students who passed. Kristina Crespo, Kaitlyn Kelly, Marlon De ita Cruz, Andrea Gutierrez, Paige Hawksworth, Victoria Hernandez, Iraitza Torres, Erick Quiroga, Tania Garcia, Diana Vazquez, Cindy Alcala, and Jacquelyn Garza will now have a bilingual seal on their diplomas. Congratulations to all the students who have completed this accomplishment.