Psychology Club sponsors Mental Health Awareness Week

Roxanne Bristow

This is the banner signed by all of the students pledging to break the silence about mental illness.

Psychology Club has put on Mental Health Awareness Week to break the negative stigmas surrounding mental illness.
“We wanted to plan this event because many of our club members were interested in learning more about mental health and wanted to help others by bringing awareness,” said senior officer Sarahi Ledesma.
By teaching students about mental illness and encouraging them to sign a banner pledging to ‘break the silence’, they hoped to make them more comfortable talking about it outside of school.
“Mental health issues are important to address year-round, and highlighting them during this particular week allows time and space for students and staff to learn more about mental health and build an increased understanding of mental illness and how to support raising awareness in our school community, which will ultimately contribute to the positive culture we have here at Grayslake North,” said sponsor Catherine Dodd.
It took a lot for them to bring the event together and ensure that it ran smoothly, but they were able to work together to make it happen.
“It was sometimes challenging to coordinate all of the activities and assignments that we had planned in getting ready for the week; however, all of the students who worked on this did an amazing job,” Dodd said.