History Fair projects are on display in the library

The History Fair projects for juniors have been finished and are down in the library right now for viewing pleasure.

The History Fair is a research project that Junior U.S History students spend time researching a topic that interests them that has happened in nearby Lake County and Chicago history.

“The History Fair is a really good opportunity to do in depth research and learn what’s a good or bad source and have a point of view on a topic,” said history teacher John Kent.

The History Fair has a theme every year, and this year the theme was “taking a stand,” a topic on someone or an event that took a stand in the local areas.

This theme creates a chance for juniors to look at historic events that have happened near them that took a stand at some point and learn about the interesting aspects of them.

“I saw a lot of different subjects not usually chosen, different routes I never would have thought about. Some students went all out with their projects,” Kent said.

Some students chose topics ranging from sports, to strikes, to someone doing something that wasn’t very popular in the time period they were researching.

“I’m very proud of my students, being able to take a concept and become an expert on it, it will be something they will never forget,” Kent said.

The projects’ process takes a very long time, taking students up to almost 3 months to research and create their projects to show how much work was put into them by the students.

The research is from a variety of primary and secondary sources, and then all the information is explained by the warrants or reasons to enforce how the event or person took a stand.

The information is either performed, or put on a website, also the most popular is putting it on a three sided poster board and then putting it in the library.

Some students have submitted their boards into a competition and can possibly move on to regionals, sectionals, and state competition if the judges think your project is worthy.

The projects are all in the library right now and can be viewed over the next couple of weeks, so everyone can go and look and see all the hard work that the junior class put into their projects.
“It was really cool to see the judging process, and since I’m not teaching all junior history classes, it was cool seeing all the other projects that weren’t in my class,” Kent said.