Independent study helps students learn public relations

There is a new class recently started by teacher Tom New called Public Relations and Marketing in the Digital Ages, and it has a very unorthodox way of working.
The name of the class is not indicative of what the class truly has to offer for those few students that have an expressed interest.
“It’s public relations and digital marketing, because what I realized was students have a lot of unique skills, and sometimes we don’t give them the amount of opportunities to explore that creativity,” said class founder Tom New.
That opportunity is specialized per each student in terms of the type and mode of work that is assigned.
“Each one of us has a different goal and a different topic. So, since I was more interested in the marketing aspect, my goal is to try to help connect all the school’s social media accounts and help prevent the echo effect,” said junior Erin McBriarty.
The scheduling is the most unconventional aspect of this class as the students do not see their teacher every day.
“We each have a day during the beginning of the week that we meet with Mr. New individually to discuss the projects we are working on independently. Then we all meet together on Thursdays to go over where everyone is at and talk about different articles,” said senior Ashley Garver.
There seemed to be something missing in the available curriculum at the school, and this class was founded to offer a little more variety.
“This class appealed to me because I like helping others which is one of the big projects we will have to do in the class. Not only will I get to help others out, but I’ll be able to do it in a way that is beneficial for me,” said senior Aidan Walsh.