Special Olympics looks to finish season strong

Special Olympics is a joint team between Grayslake North and Grayslake Central, offering sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, this year the team is hoping to use those skills to qualify for state.

“The overall concept is thinking outside of yourself, thinking that you are putting in your time and your energy and your efforts into helping other students, helping out, again, just another program, or just being compassionate and helpful to others,” said guidance counselor Jennifer Stroh.

Recently, the Special Olympics team had a combined practice with the girls varsity basketball team, preparing for their upcoming games. On November 29, Special Olympics had a game against Hersey High School taking the win. Their next game will be home against Vernon Hills on December 6 at 4:00 p.m.

“It’s nice to see the team together, practicing, playing and the sportsmanship they’ve learned,” said Special Education teacher Julie Benjamin.

Even if you can’t be an athlete, the athletes and coaches really appreciate when people are there to cheer the team on.

“There’s a team, it definitely takes a team to make this work. It’s a total team effort, and basketball is a competitive season for us,” Stroh said.

The athletes do many different seasons, such as bowling, basketball and either soccer or track and field.

“I look forward to the state qualifying tournament at the end of the season, so you can see how much the kids have grown together,” Benjamin said.

At the end of the season, the team has an opportunity to qualify for the state tournament. The athletes had a close game against Hersey last year and were almost able to qualify for state, and hoping to come close to qualifying for state again this year.

Special Olympics allows students to develop fitness skills and learn how to be courageous. This program also promotes friendships and creates meaningful experiences for everyone involved. Students can be an athlete, a peer helper, or students can cheer other students on at games.

“I look forward to getting wins, and I’m thankful for my teammates. I hope we will be able to get to the championship,” said athlete Jesse Schopen.