North athletes sign to play with colleges

Seven North athletes sign to continue their academic and athletic careers in college.

After rigorous effort, extra work put in, and many games and tournaments played, these six Knights are looking to continue the busy life of a student-athlete.

“Overall, I have always wanted to play sports in college. I love to play basketball, and it’s been my dream since I was a kid,” said senior Sidney Lovitsch.

Dreaming is great and all, but in order to play college sports, there is a crazy process that athletes have to endure.

“The recruitment process is very stressful. It can be one of the most exciting times, talking to different coaches and listening to what they have to say, whether it’s criticism or praise. At the same time, it can be the most stressful time because you may be scared that no coach is willing to take you. I am a firm believer though that everything happens for a reason and that it will all work it’s way out, so just stay positive,” Lovitsch said.

In order to recruited in the first place high school athletes have to get noticed and in front of college coaches.

“I set up an interview with the recruiting program NCSA and got accepted into that program. After they accepted me, I had multiple colleges looking at me to play tennis,” said senior Emma Indlecoffer.

“I had to be committed and willing to take time out of my day to look at film and email coaches,” Lovitsch said.

Once a high school athlete does have a school, or schools, looking at them, the fun begins.

Between looking at degrees offered, competitiveness of the sports program, atmosphere of the campus, playing time, and overall feel of the campus, then one can make their decision for the next four years of their life.

“I had thoughts of going to Marquette, or the University of Tampa, but ultimately decided on Lindenwood University,” said senior Griffin Patton. “It was exciting to find a competitive school that wanted me to play lacrosse for them and had a business administration major,” Patton said.

While college is an exciting time and something these athletes look forward to, there is a part of them that will miss what they are leaving behind in high school.

“I will miss my teammates and friends that I made, as well as the other sports that I played while in high school,” Indlecoffer said.

“I couldn’t have done it without support from friends, family, and my coaches of course. Being able to play in college is a blessing for me and I bet I can say the same for every other person doing the same thing,” Lovitsch said.

Many may believe that after committing to a school that it’s a leisurely walk through the rest of high school. Don’t be fooled though because these athletes had to work hard to get there, but now they have to work even harder to thrive in college both on and off the field.

Grayslake North’s future college athletes:

Dami Oladunmoye, Lacrosse, Syracuse University, NCAA Division I

Griffin Patton, Lacrosse, Lindenwood University, NCAA Division II

Declan Peterson, Baseball, Concordia University Chicago, NCAA Division III

Jenna Pozezinski, Softball, Concordia University Wisconsin, NCAA Division III

Sidney Lovitsch, Women’s Basketball, St. Xavier University, NAIA Division II

Emma Indlecoffer, Women’s Tennis, Judson University, NAIA Division II

Danny Yates, Baseball, College Of Lake County, NJCAA Division II

Watch for the next pair of signing dates for NCAA football and soccer which begin February 1st.

Dami Oladunmoye:                               Griffin Patton:

dami-oladunmoye griffin-patton

Declan Peterson:                                    Sidney Lovitsch:

d-p sidney-lovitsch

Emma Indlecoffer:                                  Danny Yates:

emma-indlecoffer danny-yates