Bob Dold stresses importance of voting

Congressman Robert Dold encourages students to increase civic engagement

The member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the District 10 visited North in the hopes of spreading awareness about importance of civic engagement of teens in this election.

Current State Congress ional Representative Bob Dold from the Republican party traveled to school on October 14 and presented students with an opportunity to converse with a current representative.

“I encourage you to get engaged in political campaign. If you’re politically motivated, get engaged in state representative campaign, get engaged with my competitor, get engaged and strengthen our community,” Dold said.

Although Dold doesn’t support both of the candidates, he will still vote and encourage teenagers to also vote.

“I think it is important to vote. I think it is incredible. It is a privilege that everyone should avail,” Dold said.

The purpose of Dold was to come and educate the students who have never voted before or was provided the opportunity to physically participate in politics before. The event was a start for new voters and for future participants to inform of the importance of getting involved.

“It was important for students to attend the event because it wasn’t just campaigning. I didn’t want him to talk about vote for me and don’t vote for the other guy. I wanted him to talk about civic engagement, and I think he did a great job of it,” said social studies department chairman Chris Kubic.

Furthermore, many students took the opportunity to find answers to their questions for the representative.

“I came to this event because I am interested in politics and law, especially with elections coming. It is not just about who is going to be the president, or who is going be the representative. It is good know that the representatives care about the people,” said senior Diana Vazquez.

Also, this event gave students the chance to directly learn and ask questions to our representative.

“I would encourage people to come because you can ask questions that others might not ask and you can learn more about who he is and what he wants to do when he is in office,” said senior Lindsey Dusa.

The event was quite a success as to keep students entertained and engaged yet simultaneously informative and effectful.

“The event was quite a success because most seniors will be voting in the upcoming election and most of the seniors don’t have time to research the candidates outside the school day since they have jobs and school activities,” Dusa said.