Freshmen, sophomores receive Chromebooks

This year, freshman and sophomore students have been given the opportunity to receive new Chromebooks for this year.
Michael Marassa, the director of technology, is the main person who went around asking teachers and students about the use of Chromebooks.
“Teachers liked the idea of using Chromebooks for students because it was easier for students to use the same device,” Marassa said.
Marassa went to many schools that had their own laptops and interviewed the schools to see if the idea of adding technology was a good idea.
“I worked with the principal and the assistant principal, and we interviewed the teachers that had the technology already integrated to see if it was working for them,” Marassa said.
Tom New, the technology integration specialist, had a huge involvement with the Chromebooks and computer updates and shared a connection with the teachers.
“The Chromebooks help gets things done easier, and there’s more opportunities, easier technology to handle and easier to access. It’s easier to access because some of the labs for the teachers are usually unavailable when they need them the most,” New said.
Saevion Moore, a freshman, is one of the students that have received one of the Chromebooks and has shared his experience of using them.
“Back in middle school, I would always have to travel to the library with my class if I ever needed to use a computer for homework or anything like that. Since my parents paid for the Chromebook here, it’s easier to just take my Chromebook home and use it if I ever needed to do homework,” Moore said.
The HP window computers has just recently received a huge update and new look to it that it gave these old computers a fresh style.
“We changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10 since Microsoft soon wasn’t going to be compatible with the current software that was installed on the computer,” Marassa said
The updates needed to happen in order for some of the recent updates for the programs wouldn’t function properly without it.
“Some of the programs were updated in a way that the update for the computer needed to be updated since the programs were so far ahead of the computers,” New said
This is the first time integrating Chromebooks and the new computer updates, and many people are satisfied with the results.