Students filled fieldhouse for North vs Warren basketball game

The life skills basketball game against Warren on March 16 was celebrated between periods two and three by all the Grayslake students who could could go, filling up the Grayslake North fieldhouse with support and school spirit.
“The best part of coaching is seeing the joy the students have in getting to perform in front of a crowd. They really loved getting cheered on by their peers,” said teacher Brigid DelCarmen.
The game helped the players feel proud of themselves and helped promote pride in the rest of the school.
“I loved going to watch the game; it was so much fun, and I loved going and supporting the team. I felt great,” said freshman Emily Buczynski.
The game was a great site for those watching and a great experience for those students a part of the game.
“[The most rewarding part was] seeing the students accomplish something that they have worked very hard to achieve and when they can feel proud of themselves and their achievements,” DelCarmen said.
The team lost to Warren, but all players worked hard and were cheered on by their peers.
“I feel like the game went amazing. Both teams had great shots, and everyone got to play a lot. Another good thing was that neither team was blowing out the other; it was a super close game. Although we took the loss, it was a great opportunity for us to show the character we built through the season,”said student helper Brandon Keaskowski.
Even though the team lost, they were still able to maintain their positive attitude and have fun. Both teams celebrated together.
“Both teams went into C105 for a pizza party, and it was just such a good atmosphere even though our team lost. Warren students and Grayslake North students were sitting with one another and building friendships, and it was just a blast,” Keaskowski said.
The main goal of the life skills basketball game was to promote the inclusion of students of all levels of ability in athletics.
“Working with these students has shown me that there are different ways to achieve the same goal; each student has varying levels of ability, but they all contributed in their own unique way,” DelCarmen said.