Knights in Shining Armor

Students from around Lake County will serve as hands on participants in the electoral process. These students will be election judges and work a shift.
“Being an election judge gives students firsthand experience of what it takes to make an election run smoothly, and it provides them with a sense of civic duty. Students that participate are also more likely to vote and participate again the future,” said teacher Stacy Selle.
Becoming an election judge helps students gain experience with the electoral process and learn about their roles in the upcoming elections.
“I became an election judge because I thought it would be a cool experience to have. It was something that I had never really experienced before. I also feel that being an election judge has set me apart when it comes to college applications, as many people don’t realize that young people can even be election judges and are thus impressed that I have done it,” said senior Ryan Zunker.
Students who want to participate must have a 3.0 grade point average or higher, written approval from parents and the school, and students must complete the training courses. Students also must be a United States citizen, between junior and senior year.
“All students needed to participate is a three hour training session and pass an assessment of the material. Students were then given placement throughout Lake County for Election Day on March 15. Students will be working the entire day of training from 5:15 am to 7:00 pm,” Selle said.
Students that are election judging are completing their civic duty and gaining hands on experience in the voting process.
“I am excited to judge on primary day. I think it’s a good idea to be able to see the voting process with your own eyes,” said senior Hannah Manley.