College students explain changes in daily routines from high scho

As she walks down the street towards the campus of the University of Wisconsin Green Bay, college freshman Lauren Van Hoof begins to realize how much her life is about to change as soon as she walks through the doors to her first college class. Stepping away from her high school life and stepping into a new stage of her life at college, Van Hoof is ready to explore new aspects of life.
Unlike a high school student, a typical college student’s classes generally are more difficult than that of a normal high school class.
“In college, a lot of classes don’t collect homework or give you points for it. Your entire grade is your exam scores; however, you do get to take certain classes that you are interested in, rather than taking core class subjects,” Van Hoof said.
If a college student needs assistance for certain classes, the help is not as available as in high school.
“In college, your professor isn’t always available to help you, but they will give you their office hours. There are math labs and writing labs as well, just like high school. Lots of college campuses have career centers that can help you make a resume or present mock interviews. Another great resource of help is tutoring,” said University of Iowa student Naomi Larsen.
Lots of students are shocked to realize that their studying habits from high school are not effective for the new, demanding college level courses.
“You spend a lot of time outside of class studying. I didn’t have to study in high school to do well, but I definitely have to study in college,” Van Hoof said.
Since most college students do not have as many classes throughout the day, their classes tend to be more spread out over the week. Therefore, students then are able to take advantage of off-time to participate in extracurricular activities or just relax in their dorms.
“A lot of students have jobs or are involved in school teams or organizations. We also eat a lot of noodles, take naps, and watch Netflix. Not all, but some students, including myself, go to the gym to work out,” Van Hoof said.
Similar to starting high school, plenty of college students attempt to become immensely involved in activities around the campus in order to meet new people and hopefully gain strong friendships.
“I am involved in clubs on campus, and that’s why I have had such a great experience in college. There are so many more clubs in college than in high school, and they are so much bigger. Being in a club or organization on campus really helps you meet new friends and is a great way to get involved,” Larsen said.
Even though college indicates the moving away from family and friends, students acclimate to the change in distance and realize how the bond stays consistent even miles away.
“My family has been my biggest support system since day one. They want to see me succeed and will do anything for me to make it happen,” said Larsen.